First Quarter of the Book
The Curious Incident of the Dog In the Night time is a rather odd book. It starts out almost directly with Christopher, who is autistic, finding a dead dog and punching a police officer.
The story itself tells quite depressing and odd story. An autistic boy finds a dead dog, has a single father, and has a dead mother. Depressing. The author seems to try emphasizing on the situation and it's unordinary nature by having a very bland setting. It makes contrast between the story line and the bland setting at the beginning of the book. Which is genius, but I don't think works well because the book really does not focus on the setting in the first quarter.
The author also seems to use Christopher's autism to lighten up the book. It can be quite humorous at points, and I think the book is creative and funny. Despite that, it is not my favorite book to read for long periods of time. With the humor it leaves me confused to how to react to to upsetting story it and unsure of what my thoughts and opinions are on what is going on in the book. The story is also somewhat hard to catch with the distraction of Christopher's thoughts. Overall the book is depressing, funny, and unique, but not very addicting. S'okay.
-Bethanyonnomnomlettuce-
Good post Bethany. I do think the author does a good job of letting us into Christopher's head (which as you said, can be distracting or frustrating), but it serves a purpose well. It allows us to see Christopher's level of frustration as he navigates through his OCD etc.
ReplyDelete:) Ms. Morton
"Despite that, it is not my favorite book to read for long periods of time."
ReplyDeleteGonna have to disagree with that :P I read the entire book in three sittings. Although it isn't the deepest, most inspiring book, it is the kind where you never know when a major twist is going to happen again. And for that reason, I found it hard to put down.
I'm going to say that you're being quite negative. I'm telling you that it's actually well-written and gives off a different perspective. We never really hear what's going on in an autistic person's mind. We see that he's very obsessive and partial to animals. You have to read further into the book a bit before you decide whether you don't like the way this book is written.
ReplyDeleteI'm also going to disagree with you because I could read the book over long periods of time as I found it quit intriguing. However I agree with you on the fact that "With the humor it leaves me confused to how to react to upsetting story it and unsure of what my thoughts and opinions are on what is going on in the book. The story is also somewhat hard to catch with the distraction of Christopher's thoughts"
ReplyDeleteI often found myself confused after Christopher goes off topic.
Sarah Hamilton :)