After reading the second part of the book, which I found to
be revealing and dark, I have developed strong feelings towards certain
characters and have gained more interest in the storyline. In this section of
the book, Christopher discovers that his mother had an affair with Mr. Shears.
Upon learning this information, Christopher adds it to the he book he is
writing. Christopher also writes something that made me realise how well he
understands life and how street smart he is, “But I don’t feel sad about it.
Because Mother is dead. And because Mr. Shears isn’t around anymore. So I would
be feeling sad about something that isn’t real and doesn’t exist. And that
would be stupid”.
This is where I started to establish a certain disdain and
hatred towards Christopher's dad (Ed). Subsequently to reading his son’s book without
permission, Ed loses his temper with Christopher and beats him for disobeying
him. I found this extremely mishandled on Ed's part as Christopher is an
autistic child who was just curious and writing his feelings in his book.
Following this incident, the story spirals into a totally new direction.
Christopher discovers letters that are addressed to him, written by his mom who
is supposedly “dead”. He then realises that His mom ran away to England with Mr.
Shears.
As much as I like the way the way the book is written I found
that the language in this section was a little hard to follow and I often got
confused.
:)
“But I don’t feel sad about it. Because Mother is dead. And because Mr. Shears isn’t around anymore. So I would be feeling sad about something that isn’t real and doesn’t exist. And that would be stupid”.
ReplyDeleteAgree 100%, this really shows us Christopher's scientific thinking. At the same time, his innocence is shining through. The fact that his father may have been lying all this time doesn't even cross his mind.
I don't think that Ed is altogether a bad person, however. He did a combination of what was best for his own mind and what he believed would be best for Christopher: shut mum out of both of their lives. Ed couldn't handle the thought of her anymore, and he knew that Christopher hated uncertainty. The lie of her death would be a simple explanation.
I think we all agree that we do develop a hatred towards Ed at this point. He was a bit hypocritical towards Chris, telling him to always tell the truth and promise never to get involved in Wellington's murder. Suddenly we find out about the affair between Chris' mother and Mr. Shears and we suddenly develop a mistrust of Ed.
ReplyDelete